Your students will appreciate scanned magazine articles and book chapters accessible from Moodle.
You won’t need multiple copies of printed publications and students will be able to use articles and chapters as they prefer – read on screen, print out, save to memory stick.
The Library will scan for you and provide you with a link to the file which you can add to Moodle, share by email or use in your Facebook group – whatever you use for your course.
Starting 15 April, for the following six weeks the Copyright Licencing Agency (CLA) will carry out its survey of photocopying and scanning of the licenced materials in our college.
This will involve only staff, not learners. You will see yellow boxes next to all MFDs in public areas; they will remind you of the survey.
CLA Survey – why?
This is a routine event happening once every few years. It allows the CLA to determine the correct amount it pays the authors of books and magazines we use as part of our professional duties. The college pays an annual licence fee to CLA; in return staff and students are allowed to scan and photocopy from books and magazines without the prior publishers’ permission (within certain parameters).
For more on the CLA licence, see https://nwhclibrary.wordpress.com/services/licences/cla/.
What to do?
You will see yellow boxes next to all MFDs (which we normally call printers or photocopiers).
There will be posters and leaflets explaining what to do when we:
- copy or scan
- from books or magazines
- but not from newspapers or other types of publications.
We will be asked to:
- scan the barcode on the book back cover or
- magazine title
- attach a sticker provided
- fill few details in
- drop the sheet into the yellow box.
Need help or want to know more?
The survey is co-ordinated by the Library and Reprographics. Please invite us to visit your team meetings with a quick demonstration and Q&As.
Contacts Library: email@example.com, ext. 3263 (Nuneaton), 3705 (Hinckley).
Contact Reprographics: firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 3151.
The CLA Licence – of which the College is user – covers photocopying, scanning and retyping of fragments of books, magazines and journals. (Newspapers are covered by a different license and some conditions differ from the CLA Licence)
In addition to photocopying, the following is permitted under the CLA License:
- scanning extracts from books, journals and magazines published in the United Kingdom;
- retyping extracts from licensed material onto a computer;
- storage on a secure network, e.g. on Moodle if the course is protected with an enrolment key;
- using digital copies in presentation software, e.g. PowerPoint;
- sending copies by fax or email to the current learners and staff;
- using digital copies supplied by the British Library.
Under the conditions of the license, learners and staff may photocopy, scan, fax etc. up to 5% or one chapter of a book whichever is greater, or one article from a magazine.
- the copies may be shared only with the current learners and members of staff;
- no repetitive copying is allowed, i.e. if one chapter of a book has been copied, no other chapters from the same book can be copied for the same course;
- digital copies should be uploaded on Moodle courses with an enrolment key and removed once the course is over;
- copies can be made from the publications purchased by the College, e.g. the college Library, not from personal copies;
- excluded works, i.e. publications from some countries and publisher and by some authors cannot be copied without their written permission.
- On request, Library staff can scan the required fragments and send them by email to tutors or make them available on the Library Moodle page.
For more, please see the Copyright Licensing Agency website, explanatory leaflet (pdf) and user guidelines (pdf).